Call for Concept Proposals:  Action Research Projects

Deadline:  August 15, 2014

Amount:  $10,000 – $20,000

The Sociological Initiatives Foundation is dedicated to the belief that research and action are intrinsically inseparable.  We invite concept proposals for projects that link an explicit research design to a concrete social action strategy.  Projects should also have clear social change goals.

SIF has funded projects in the areas of civic participation, community organizing, crime and law, education, health, housing, immigration, labor organizing, and language/literacy.

Some examples of desired applicants are:

  • academic-community partnerships
  • advocacy or community groups that conduct research that can withstand challenge in academic and policy arenas
  • academics that organize or link to a constituency through their research

A limited number of concept applicants will be invited to submit full proposals in the fall of 2014.

Applicants chosen for funding will receive 60% of the funds immediately in January of 2015.  They will receive the remaining 40% after 11 months contingent upon submitting evidence that the project’s 11 month milestones have been met.

Our analysis of past grant recipients has shown that projects typically take two years, so applicants should think in terms of such a timeline.  The Foundation will also track projects and may choose to invite select grant recipients to apply for a second round of funding to enhance a project showing significant accomplishments in the previous two years.

Complete guidelines, information on past funded projects, and the on-line concept application are available on this site using the links above.

More information available from the Sociological Initiatives Foundation.