Hep B & C can lead to serious liver damage, or cirrhosis, which can cause the liver to shut down. Hepatitis B & C and cirrhosis increase risk for liver cancer.
Managing Cirrhosis & End Stage Liver Disease
- Symptoms and Complications of Cirrhosis. HCV Advocate.
Liver Transplant is an option for people with access to health care who meet medical eligibility requirements.
- Liver Transplantation Fact Sheet. HCV Advocate.
- To learn more, visit: The New York Organ Donor Network
Liver cancer or Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) can be treated if caught early. Those with Hepatitis B or C or cirrhosis for any reason should be screened regularly.
- Liver Cancer Screening Reminder Service. Liver Disease Connection. If you are at risk for liver cancer, it is important that you get checked by a doctor every 6 months for cancer screening. Sign up now for a convenient automated reminder service to help alert you by phone or email to make routine appointments. Registration only takes a minute, and the service is completely free.
- CancerCare. National program that provides free information, resources, referrals and counseling to people affected by cancer
- American Cancer Society has information and resources related to liver cancer available here.
- Liver Cancer Brochure from the American Liver Foundation in English and Spanish.
- Liver Cancer Handouts from the American Liver Foundation in Arabic ; Chinese ; Hmong ; French ; Khmer ; Korean ; Laotian ; Russian ; Swahili ; Vietnamese
End of Life Issues
- Final Steps with HCV: An HCSP Guide on Death and Dying. HCV Advocate
- Friends In Deed. We provide emotional and spiritual support for anyone with a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS, cancer or other life-threatening physical illnesses…their family, friends, and caregivers…and anyone dealing with grief and bereavement. All of our services are free of charge.
- Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State. To promote the availability and accessibility of quality hospice and palliative care for all persons in New York State confronted with life-limiting illness.