General Hepatitis Resources
Getting Started in the Grass Roots
- Neighborhood Leadership Institute. Citizens Committee for NY: conducts free skills-building workshops for new leaders.
- New York Transformative Organizing Initiative (TOI). Social Justice Leadership Training.
- Developing Effective Coalitions: An Eight Step Guide. This step-by-step guide to coalition building helps partnerships launch and stabilize successfully. It supports advocates and practitioners in every aspect of the process-from determining the appropriateness of a coalition to selecting members, defining key elements, maintaining vitality, and conducting ongoing evaluations.
- The Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed.
Tools to Help New Leaders Build
- Free Conference Call Service
- Free or low cost business cards: do an online search for ‘free business cards’ many companies provide a quantity of free cards to start with, as well as free or low cost materials such as post cards.
- Website: You can build your own website for free on Google Sites and WordPress as well a other website development programs.
- Social Media: Facebook, Linkedin & many other Social Media platforms are free and an excellent way to network, outreach, generate awareness, sent invitations & much more.
- Meeting Space: NY Public Libraries, Brooklyn Public Library, Queens Public Library, and some community organizations provide free meeting space.
Establishing a Non-profit Organization
- Learn About Tax Exemption. Stay Exempt is a comprehensive online training tool created especially for 501(c)(3) organizations by the IRS.
- “The Things You Gotta Do To Start a Nonprofit Organization”. Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York, Inc., 2011.
- Establishing a Non-Profit 501(C) Organization. The Foundation Center. As you begin the process of establishing your nonprofit organization, it is important to remember that before you begin the process of fundraising, your organization must be able to demonstrate the key characteristics of a successful nonprofit organization: a vital mission, clear lines of accountability, high-quality programs and services, and reliable and diverse revenue streams.checklist for establishing a nonprofit organization:
- File the certificate of incorporation
- Select individuals to serve on the board of directors
- Develop vision and mission statements
- Establish bylaws and board policies
- Obtain an employer identification number (EIN)
- Open a bank account and establish check signing procedures
- File for federal tax exemption
- Follow state and local nonprofit regulations
- Find office space and obtain office equipment
- Recruit staff and prepare a personnel manual
- Establish a payroll system and procure necessary insurance coverage
- Develop an overall fundraising plan
- The Center for Nonprofit Success is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide the training, knowledge and resources to help nonprofit organizations succeed. We believe that the most important asset in an organization is its people, and our programs and services are designed with your most important asset in mind.
- A Model-Driven Approach to Qualitatively Assessing the Added Value of Community Coalitions. Journal of Urban Public Health, 2011.